Last summer we visited London with the kids and there they discovered SCONES! They would eat them even for lunch with cream and jam J .
Back to Luxembourg everybody was missing them as mid afternoon snack, so I started looking online for the perfect recipe. Last week I finally found it and I am here to share it with you!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or rubbing between your fingers until it is in pea sized lumps. Mix together 1/2 cup milk, sour cream and the egg in a measuring cup. Pour all at once into the dry ingredients, and stir gently until well blended. Overworking the dough results in terrible scones!
- Scoop the dough in muffin’s tin or silicone form.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are golden brown, not deep brown. Serve with clotted cream and jam.
My son mixed all the ingredients and then really enjoyed the result of his hard work J. Next time I will double if not triple the recipe: the scones lasted barely couple of hours in this house!!